side menu icon

Girl Scout Insurance


All registered members are automatically covered with basic activity insurance. Sometimes, however, additional insurance is needed. See the chart to:

Discover what insurance is needed

Find forms and instructions to complete them

Learn about collecting certificates of insurance from vendors and experts

Types of Activity Insurance


Every registered Girl Scout member is automatically covered with basic accident insurance coverage. This coverage:

  • Provides accident protection only for approved, supervised Girl Scout activities, including events lasting two consecutive nights or less.
  • Is included with annual membership dues.
  • Is secondary. The insured party’s family insurance plan is primary. Mutual of Omaha pays the first $130 of an approved claim and will continue (after the family insurance plan has reached its coverage limit) up to a total of $20,000.

Cost: Included in membership
Plan: Basic (1)


Purchase this insurance any time non-member adults or girls are participating in a Girl Scout event or program (like She and Me camping, Thinking Day events, events open to girls’ guests, etc.).

This coverage:

  • Provides accident insurance for non-member participants in approved, supervised activities/events at which registered girls and adults would be covered under the basic plan.
  • Provides accident insurance for activities/events lasting two nights or less.
  • Counts each calendar day. Overnights count as two days, even if less than 24 hours.
  • Is not needed when Girl Scouts participate in public events. For example, it isn’t necessary to obtain coverage when Girl Scouts host a booth at a street fair, you do not have to get coverage for people stopping at the booth.

About tag-alongs: Tag-a-longs (siblings who tag along) are generally not covered, unless program activities are planned for them. For example, coverage is not available for a younger brother who comes along on a troop field trip. But the brother would be eligible for coverage if he were in a “small fry” unit at a day camp where his father volunteers. Tag-a-longs are the responsibility of the parent attending. Any damage/harm caused by the tag-a-long is also the parents' responsibility.

Cost: $0.11 per non-member participant per day; $5 minimum.
Plan: 2

Extended Events

Purchase this insurance when an event is longer than two nights, regardless of whether travel is in or outside of council boundaries. The insurance covers members and non-members. As a result, Plan 2 is not needed when you get Plan 3P.

This coverage provides accident and sickness insurance for approved, supervised activities and events. All participants (registered and non-registered) must be covered.

Cost: $0.70 per participant per day; $5 minimum.
Plan: 3P

International Travel

This coverage provides accident and sickness insurance for approved, supervised, international activities/events lasting more than two nights. There are other benefits, too. Be sure to include a roster of all participants, including their ages at date of travel.

Cost: $1.17 per participant per calendar day or portion thereof; $5 minimum. 
Plan: 3PI

Certificate of Insurance

A certificate of insurance is a document that provides information about insurance coverage. The certificate verifies that a vendor or venue is insured. The document also provides info about coverage limits, the period of coverage, the insurance provider’s name, and the policy number. When working with a vendor or holding a Girl Scout event at a venue, follow the instructions below to ensure that the vendor, venue, or expert holds a valid certificate of insurance.

Vendors and Venues

Coming soon!

Request GSCCC Certificate of Liability

Some locations, like schools and libraries, will request a copy of Girl Scouts California's Central Coast's certificate of liability. Contact or call 800-822-2427.

COI - Certificate of Insurance Form